Our History - Roosevelt
In 1914 Xavier Bellon and S.M. Hancock established Cash Meat Market in Roosevelt, Utah. It was constructed on a corner site on the main street in Roosevelt. In 1915, F.M. Taylor bought out Mr. Hancock's share and became a partner with Mr. Bellon. In 1917 Elroy Wilkins bought a share in the business, and one year later Mr. Bellon sold his share to H.L. Allred. In 1919 Mr. Wilkins, with his son Marrell, bought the two partners out and operated the store. It was operated as a family-owned store until September, 1963 at which time Percy and Erma Stewart along with Val and Ardith McClellan purchased the store from the Wilkins.
The new owners started business on October 1, 1963. Shortly after purchasing Cash Meat Market plans for remodeling began. Within five years the shopping area was doubled and membership with Associated Food Stores began. In June 1968, Percy and Erma Stewart purchased the shares of the McClellan's. As sole owners the Stewarts planned a major addition to provide space for a new and larger meat shop and bakery.
As business continued to increase in 1975, the Stewart's built a new store directly behind Cash Meat Market. The new store was renamed Stewart's Thriftyway and opened December, 1975 for business. Percy and Erma along with sons, Percy Jr. and Mark continued to manage the store.
Mid 1979, Percy and Erma decided to go on an L.D.S. mission and the reigns of the store were assumed by Percy Jr. and Mark.
By 1986 Stewarts' had out grown the new building and moved to a larger building on the east side of Roosevelt. As the business grew and the opportunity to acquire a larger building came available the business was moved to the current location at 245 West Highway 40 in the fall of 1989.
As business has continued to grow, we have expanded our grocery store and now include an Ace Hardware store along with a RadioShack and a sporting good section and an in store pharmacy to make a one stop shop for our customers.
Our History - Castledale
Built in 1983, Stewarts began as a Safeway grocery store. Safeway then sold the store to Farmer Jack. In October 1989, brothers Mark and Percy Stewart from Roosevelt decided that they would purchase the store from Farmer Jack, and renamed it Stewart's Marketplace.
Wayne Huntington, who was a box boy during the store's original opening in 1983, was hired to manage and direct Stewart's Market in 1989. Born and raised in Emery County, Wayne took pride in his position and his hometown. He said he always wanted to raise his family by the same people and in the environment he had been.
Since opening, Mark, Percy, and Wayne have added new cases in all of the stores departments and a beautiful decor package with local photographs taken by San Rafael Swell, along with other eye-catching enhancements.
The most recent additions include a Redbox kiosk for DVD and Blu-ray rentals and a Champs Chicken dining area—with great lunch and dinner options for a quick, delicious meal.
With a top-notch meat department, fresh produce, made from scratch bakery, and many other quality grocery items, we're proud that Stewart's Marketplace is just, "one of the community."
Stewart's Market is pleased to team up with the following organizations:
- Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife
- Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
- Mule Deer Foundation
- Duchesne Chamber of Commerce
- Roosevelt Rotary Club